Carrot cake is one of my favorite baked goods! This is the healthier, lighter version to the traditional high-fat recipe…This recipe is by Registered Dietitian, Ellie Krieger. As always her recipes are easy, delicious and nutritious! I guarantee that you will never want to use the traditional high fat recipe ever again!!! The recipe says it yields 10 cupcakes but I got 14. Let me know what you guys think. Any questions or comments can be submitted in the comment box at the bottom of the page, email me at email@example.com, or follow the twitter or Facebook link located on the top right of this page.
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 14 muffin cups with paper liners.
Sift together the first 6 ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, brown sugar and eggs until well combined. Whisk in the applesauce, vanilla and carrots. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup of the chopped walnuts.
Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and lemon zest until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes and use a micro grater to grate a cinnamon stick over the cupcakes for garnish . The cupcakes should be stored in the refrigerator. ENJOY!
**Calories are per cupcake and includes frosting!
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||8.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||32.9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.5 g|